We are the National Council for Tertiary Education, established by Act 454, 1993 as a supervisory body of Tertiary Education in Ghana.
Leading Tertiary Education To New Heights.
The NCTE is devoted to providing leadership in the direction, functions, role and relevance of tertiary education in Ghana.
The functions of Council as contained in Section 2(1) of Act 454 are:
(a) to advise the Minister on the development of institutions of tertiary education in Ghana;
(b) to enquire into the financial needs of the institutions of tertiary education and advise the Minister accordingly;
(c) to recommend to the Minister for the purpose of the preparation of annual national education budget;
(i) block allocations of funds toward running costs; and
(ii) grants towards capital expenditure of each institution of tertiary education, indicating how the allocations are to be disbursed;
(d) to recommend national standards and norms, including standards and norms on staff, costs, accommodation and time utilization for the approval of the Minister and to monitor the implementation of any approved national standards and norms by the institutions;
(e) to advise governing councils of institutions of tertiary education on suitable measures for generating additional funds for their institutions;
(f) to advise the institutions of tertiary education on the applications for and acceptance of external assistance in accordance with government policy;
(g) to advise the Minister generally on rates of remuneration and other conditions of service of staff of the institutions;
(h) to publish information on tertiary education in Ghana; and
(i) to perform any other functions relating to tertiary education as are incidental to the functions specified in this Act.
WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Considering applications for the introduction of new programmes in tertiary institutions and advising on their relevance for national development;
- Advising on the establishment of norms for effective Management of tertiary institutions and monitoring their performance;
- Preparation of composite budgets for the tertiary sector;
- Presentation of the tertiary sector budget to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Education;
- Processing inputs for the release of subventions;
- Disbursement of approved subventions to tertiary institutions;
- Collection of and submitting monthly returns on subvention and internally generated funds from the institutions to Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and the Controller and Accountant Generals Department;
- Preparation of Annual budget reports of the tertiary sector;
- Collection of data from tertiary institutions and publishing annual statistical digest;
- Facilitation of negotiations for salaries and Conditions of Service for staff of Universities and Polytechnics;
- Providing information on tertiary education to local and international stakeholders;
- Coordination of donor projects involving the entire tertiary sector such as Teaching and Learning Innovation Fund (TALIF) with the World Bank support;
- Liaison between tertiary institutions, government and other stakeholders on tertiary education issues;
- Publishing information on tertiary education in Ghana; and
- Organization of orientation workshops on leadership development for newly appointed heads of institutions and in governance for newly appointed Council members.
OUR SERVICE STANDARDS
We shall render the following services within time- frame
· Submit composite budget to Ministry of Education Science and Sports
· Within four (4) working days of submission by the institutions
· Issue subvention cheques.
· Within four (4)working days of release of subventions by the Controller and Accountant General Department
· Submit monthly returns to Ministries of Education Science and Sports/Finance and Economic Planning and Controller and Accountant General Department
· By 15th of each month
· Process certificates to GETfund
· Within seven (7) working days of receipt
· Convene meetings of Standing Joint Negotiation Committees.
· Within fourteen (14) working days of receipt of mandate
· Respond to requests for information
· Local- Within (5) working days
· International – Within (7) working days
· Respond to submission of articles for publication
· Within five (5) working days after reviewers comments.
· Payment for completed TALIF projects
· Within five (5) working days of approval
· Annual Report
· By April each year
· Publication of Statistical Digest
· By July of each year
WE STRIVE TO:
- Promote attractive options within tertiary education.
- Facilitate the development of a clear and widely acceptable definition of tertiary education.
- Provide professional advice and policy inputs based on sound information and reliable data.
- Exploit the full potential of linkages with industry/business and other stakeholders
- Establish mechanism for monitoring, evaluation and review of standards and norms
- Promote effective advocacy on the role of tertiary education in socio-economic development
- Provide strong resource mobilization drive
- Build expertise in tertiary education planning and management
- Build capacity of Council and Secretariat for continued improvement in our service delivery.
COURTESY AND COOPERATION
· Our reception is friendly and cordial with mutual respect.
· We maintain intercom services that link one staff to the other to promote efficient service delivery.
· Our telephone reception is available throughout working hours.
· One is sure to receive prompt attention without having to wait for more than ten minutes.
· You can have printed materials/ data on a number of tertiary education issues.
· One may visit our Publications Centre and read materials on tertiary education
· One needs not necessarily visit our office for all information. One may fax or ring for the information or visit our website.
INFORMATION, TRANSPARENCY AND CONVENIENCE
- We provide reliable information and publish up-to-date data on the sub-sector to all stakeholders at no cost.
- We engage in dialogue to solve problems.
- We will establish a client service unit as front desk to facilitate clients requests.
- We will put in place a suggestion box to improve on our services
- We will provide an effective website and place a number of information on tertiary education for ease of access.
- We will provide an effective website and place a number of information on tertiary education for case of access.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM THE PUBLIC
We expect the public to:
- Ensure that they deal with staff mandated by Council by asking of identity.
- Route requests through appropriate channels.
- Be precise with requests for information and for the purpose for which it will be used.
- Ensure that official written communication is lodge at the Registry in the first instance.
- Be candid in dealing with Management or staff.
OTHER COLLABORATING AGENCIES
We collaborate with:
· National Accreditation Board
· National Board for Technician and Professional Examinations.
COMPLAINTS AND COMMENTS
If you have a complaint or a comment, you may submit it to:
The Executive SecretaryOUR CONTACTSAddress P.O. Box MB 28AccraOffice location: Adjacent Chartered Institutes of Bankers Bawaleshi - East Legon Tel: +2332 09989413/09989414 Website: www.ncte.edu.gh As a final resort you may appeal toThe Charter Officec/o Office of the PresidentMinistry of Public Sector ReformAccraTel 021 684086/671359/ Fax: 671358