The functions of Council, as provided in Section 2(1) of Act 454, are:
(a) to advise the Minister on the development of institutions of tertiary education in Ghana;
(b) to enquire into the financial needs of the institutions of tertiary education and advise the Minister accordingly;
(c) to recommend to the Minister for the purpose of the preparation of annual national education budget;
(i) block allocations of funds toward running costs; and
(ii) grants towards capital expenditure of each institution of tertiary education,
indicating how the allocations are to be disbursed;
(d) to recommend national standards and norms, including standards and norms on staff, costs, accommodation and time utilization for the approval of the Minister and to monitor the implementation of any approved national standards and norms by the institutions;
(e) to advise governing councils of institutions of tertiary education on suitable measures for generating additional funds for their institutions;
(f) to advise the institutions of tertiary education on the applications for and acceptance of external assistance in accordance with government policy;
(g) to advise the Minister generally on rates of remuneration and other conditions of service of staff of the institutions;
(h) to publish information on tertiary education in Ghana; and
(i) to perform any other functions relating to tertiary education as are incidental to the functions specified in this Act.
COMMITTEES OF COUNCIL.
Council is assisted by the following Committees of Council:
i) Finance /Audit Committee.
· to advise on recurrent funding,
· to scrutinise budgets of the institutions,
· to distribute approved budgets for the tertiary sector,
· to advise on rates of remuneration and other conditions of service for staff,
· to advise on audit reports of the Secretariat of Council,
· to advise on other financial issues of the tertiary sector and the Secretariat.
ii) Academic Committee.
· to advise on demand for education in line with the socio-economic needs of the country,
· to advise on establishment of new institutions and programmes,
· to advise on national norms for tertiary education,
· to maintain contact with other’ state agencies and the private sector with the view, to promoting an appreciation of value of high education and research,
· to advise on promotion of research and staff development in the institutions,
· to enquire into general academic needs of the institutions.
iii) Infrastructure Committee.
· to enquire into academic and physical infrastructure needs of the institutions,
· to enquire into the capital equipment needs of the institutions,
· to monitor development projects in the institutions,
iv) Appointment and Promotions Committee.
- to conduct interview and recommend the appointment of Executive Secretary, Deputy Executive Secretary and senior administrative/professional staff,
- to draw criteria for and promotion of senior administrative/ professional staff.
|PROF. KWAME BOAFO – ARTHUR||PRESIDENT’S NOMINEE||CHAIRMAN|
|PROF. EMMANUEL JAMES FLOLU||EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCED PERSON IN UNI. WORK||MEMBER|
|PROF. GABRIEL AYUM TEYE||VICE CHANCELLOR, UDS GHANA||MEMBER|
|PROF. J.S.Y. KUMA||VICE CHANCELLOR, UMaT GHANA||MEMBER|
|PROF. LAWRENCE ATEPOR||PRINCIPAL OF A POLYTECHNIC (ROTATIONAL BASIS)||MEMBER|
|DR. VICTOR KWAME AGYEMAN||COUNCIL FOR SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH||MEMBER|
|PROF. KOFI AWUSABO – ASARE||CHAIRMAN, NATIONAL ACCREDITATION BOARD||MEMBER|
|DR. GEORGE DAWSON – AHMOAH||ASSOCIATION OF GHANA INDUSTRIES||MEMBER|
|PROF. EDWARD TSIRI AGBENYEGA||EXPERIENCE PERSON IN SCHOOLS ADMINISTRATION||MEMBER|
|DR. NII MOI -THOMPSON||NATIONAL DEV’T PLANNING COMMISSION||MEMBER|
|MR. PATRICK NOMO||MINISTRY OF FINANCE||MEMBER|
|MR. ENOCH HEMANS COBBINAH||MINISTRY OF EDUCATION||MEMBER|
|PROF. ABA BENTIL ANDAM||ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES||MEMBER|
|PROF. PATRICK KWAMLA AGBESINYALE||PRESIDENT’S NOMINEE||MEMBER|
|PROF. YAW AFARI ANKOMAH||PRESIDENT’S NOMINEE||MEMBER|
|PROF. ERNESTINA AGNES ADDY (MRS.)||PRESIDENT’S NOMINEE||MEMBER|
|ELIZABETH AMOAKO-ARHEN (REV. SR)||PRESIDENT’S NOMINEE||MEMBER|
|PROF. MOHAMMED SALIFU||EXECUTIVE SECRETARY||MEMBER/SECRETARY|