Leading Tertiary Education To New Heights.
The NCTE is devoted to providing leadership in the direction, functions, role and relevance of tertiary education in Ghana.
The functions of Council as contained in Section 2(1) of Act 454 are:
- to advise the Minister on the development of institutions of tertiary education in Ghana;
- to enquire into the financial needs of the institutions of tertiary education and advise the Minister accordingly;
- to recommend to the Minister for the purpose of the preparation of annual national education budget;
- block allocations of funds toward running costs; and
- grants towards the capital expenditure of each institution of tertiary education, indicating how the allocations are to be disbursed;
- to recommend national standards and norms, including standards and norms on staff, costs, accommodation and time utilization for the approval of the Minister and to monitor the implementation of any approved national standards and norms by the institutions;
- to advise governing councils of institutions of tertiary education on suitable measures for generating additional funds for their institutions;
- to advise the institutions of tertiary education on the applications for and acceptance of external assistance in accordance with government policy;
- to advise the Minister generally on rates of remuneration and other conditions of service of staff of the institutions;
- to publish information on tertiary education in Ghana; and
- to perform any other functions relating to tertiary education as are incidental to the functions specified in this Act.
WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Considering applications for the introduction of new programmes in tertiary institutions and advising on their relevance for national development;
- Advising on the establishment of norms for effective management of tertiary institutions and monitoring their performance;
- Preparation of composite budgets for the tertiary sector;
- Presentation of the tertiary sector budget to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and to the Parliamentary Select Committee on Education;
- Processing inputs for the release of subventions;
- Disbursement of approved subventions to tertiary institutions;
- Collection of and submitting monthly returns on subvention and internally generated funds from the institutions to Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning and the Controller and Accountant Generals Department;
- Preparation of Annual budget reports of the tertiary sector;
- Collection of data from tertiary institutions and publishing annual statistical digest;
- Facilitation of negotiations for salaries and Conditions of Service for the staff of Universities and Polytechnics;
- Providing information on tertiary education to local and international stakeholders;
- Coordination of donor projects involving the entire tertiary sector such as Teaching and Learning Innovation Fund (TALIF) with the World Bank support;
- Liaison between tertiary institutions, government and other stakeholders on tertiary education issues;
- Publishing information on tertiary education in Ghana; and
- Organization of orientation workshops on leadership development for newly appointed heads of institutions and in governance for newly appointed Council members.